Share it Please
25 Oreos (creme included), crushed into crumbs (about 2 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs
2 3/4 cups heavy cream, divided
One 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
25 caramels, unwrapped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir the Oreo crumbs and butter until combined. Press the mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan; freeze until set (15 minutes). Bake for 10 minutes; let cool.
2. Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk together the 3 eggs, 1 cup cream, pumpkin, brown sugar, spice and salt until just combined. (With the stand mixer, its easy to let it do its thing, but I think I mixed it too long. My pie took over an hour to cook before it wasn't jiggly anymore).
3. Pour into the cooled pie shell and bake until set, 40 to 45 minutes. When you shake the pan, the filling should no longer be jiggly. Let the pie cool at room temperature slightly, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
4. In a bowl, microwave the caramels with 1/2 cup cream until melted, 2 to 3 minutes- adding 1 minute increments, if needed, if they are still not completely melted. Stir until smooth, then let cool to room temperature.
5. Using an electric mixer, whip the remaining 1 1/4 cups cream until soft peaks form.
6. Drizzle in the cooled caramel and beat until well blended. Spoon the caramel whipped cream on top of the pumpkin filling and refrigerate until completely chilled. (Make sure your caramel is room temperature. I think mine was too warm, and my whip cream lost its fluffiness as I put the caramel in .) Oh and don't worry, that is the oreo crust you're seeing. I didn't char my pie.
So how did it turn out? The Oreo crust was de-li-cious! The flavor of the whip cream was so yummy! I was a little disappointed in the taste of the pumpkin though. :/ It was not very sweet at all. Maybe this was to balance the rage of sweetness from the other ingredients? It may just be me, but the pumpkin is the star attraction! My advice? Follow this recipe to make the pumpkin pie, and incorporate the oreo crust and caramel whip cream. It is sure to be a success! :]